Monday, April 27, 2009

Project 3 Artist Statement




For Project 3, I chose to make a comic book on morality. This project is made on regular wide-ruled notebook paper, just as if a child were to make one. On the front cover reads "Morals?!?" colored in with red and purple crayon for the comic effect. Inside this booklet are different comic squares that I found on the internet pertaining to morals and moral dilemmas. I added color to them with crayons and markers and filled in the blank spaces to make it more cartoon-ish.
My first decision I encountered with this project was which topic to choose from. I chose morality because I'm interested in how morals come to be. This topic is also something that many people are familiar with (whether they have any or not) and you don't need to know a whole lot of scientific terms or zero in on a particular sub-topic- although you can if you want. My next decision was what medium to choose. Morals are usually learned at a young age. Parents will teach their children what they think is right and wrong and reward or punish for certain acts. I look at comic books as a child's entertainment more than a grown ups and there lies the answer as to why I decided to make my project in that kind of medium. Children are interested in comic books and find them fun to read and they also learn lessons from them. There are always the bad characters and the good characters in each story line and a kid always knows which is which. The good guy is constantly looked at as a hero.
This piece of work can compare to other creative projects such as Batman, Superman, and Spiderman. They each had their own villain and at the end the super hero prevailed.
This project on morality is based on all of the guiding questions. It is different for projects done about hunting or beliefs on stem cell research because that requires to have a set opinion. But what are opinions mostly based on? Morals.
My message of this piece, that I hope people understand, is that everything comes back to your morals. Every decision you make and every action you decide to take has a thought process behind it. And on that train of thought, morals are aboard. Whether you were taught one thing or learned from your own experience, everyone has a set. Parents are the first to pass these on when their children are young so they can grow up to what they hope to be a respectable and decent human being.
My comic book had both specific situations and a general outlook on morality. It could have been made a little more organized and kept the same type of cartoon throughout the project.

No comments:

Post a Comment